Saturday, October 3, 2009

Out of the Blue I




“Will you let me court you?”

I stood dumbfounded in front of the guy who just asked me that. Meg who was with me at that time was also shocked and was silent behind my back. After a minute of silence, I smiled warily and decided to leave without a word. He stopped me, walking in front of, trying to get my attention.

“Will you stop joking around?” I finally blurted out. He was with friends of his who were all guys and were just watching us as they sat comfortably beside the store where we were already making a scene.

“I’m serious.” His face was indeed serious, but I just cannot understand what came into his mind to question me out of the blue. Honestly, we’re not even acquaintances, but yes, he is a familiar face to me.

“We’re late for class, so will you please excuse us?” I walked past him with Meg tagging along, who still seemed confused to what had just occurred.

“Do you know him?” She asked when finally we escaped the guy’s efforts of stopping us again. We hurried along outside the gate and into the campus. The siren already echoed, announcing eight o’clock in the morning.

“I’m familiar with his face, yes, but we were never acquainted.” Frowning, I tried to erase the scene from my mind as I changed the subject of our conversation. We went to our respective classes and decided to meet again for lunch.
--
I was walking along the street, on my way to the apartment when I sensed that someone was following me. Thinking that my paranoia was already striking so early in the morning, I decided not to turn around to investigate. Seconds later, a shadow passed beside me but I didn’t notice at once, since my eyes were trained on my phone.

“Who is so important that you have to text?” The familiar voice prompted me to abruptly look sideways. It was that same guy who wanted to court me this morning. And when I was already forgetting what happened, he’s actually with me.

“Shut up. Leave me alone, will you?” Pissed off, I walked a bit faster, trying to push him away. He just followed me silently with that stupid smile on his face.

“I just want to talk to you, you know. You don’t have to be so hard-to-get.” He mused, smiling at me when I stopped walking and faced him.

I breathed in and out before I speak. “I don’t even know you. And who the hell are you to tell me I’m being hard-to-get? I don’t even like you tagging along with me. Just leave me alone!” Not knowing what to do next, I suddenly hit his shoulder with my clenched fist out of exasperation. He was surprised but I left him standing alone, running my way to the apartment.

I felt my tears forming in the corner of my eyes as I rushed inside my second home. Trying to relax, I sat down, at the same time, rubbing my aching forehead.

“What the hell is his problem anyway?” I muttered. What I knew about him, but still I’m not sure too, is that he is a member of a fraternity. That’s all I know about that guy since I always saw him hanging at that same store this morning with a group of guys.

A message came in my phone so I hurriedly open to read it. The message was short and it came from someone whose number is not registered in my phonebook.

I am sorry. Can you let me make up for what I did? – Howard.

I read it again and again and wondered who is Howard, and don’t want to think that he is that guy just a while ago. But it looked like he is that guy since I can’t think of a Howard who I personally knew and did something bad to me. I put the phone on the table and tried to think of what to do – reply or just leave the message alone. Before I can even decide, my phone rang and Howard is already calling.

“What?” I spat when I answered the phone, which I can’t believe I did. Maybe it was out of surprise or out of curiosity for this guy, I don’t care anymore.

“I am really sorry. I didn’t mean to piss you off. Will you go out with me for dinner tonight?” His manly voice was enticing, the invitation seemed innocent, and my irritation towards him just melted after hearing his voice on the phone. Talk about irony, so I found myself seconds after agreeing to meet him at seven in the evening. And I’ll ask him how he got my number when I realized I forgot to ask after ending the call. Wondering what will happen tonight, I mused at my stupidity while climbing upstairs to rest for a while.

No comments: